- How long will it take to get there? How many ferries and how often do they run?
- What can you build on the lot? What are (the powerful) Island Trust rules?
- What are you looking at? Sun in the morning or afternoon, or none? (West is best.)
- What are the nighbours like? Talk to neighbours - what kind are they? Will they help watch your property? Any by-laws you ought to know (not told to you by owners) and of course the big questions:
- Water well ... running at 1 or 10 gallons an hour?
- Is it a shallow well or deep well? Is there a water storage system?
- Does the well produce water in the dry summer months? Like now?
- How many wells are in the overall area tapping the same water?
- Is the house built to code?
- Are there outbuildings on the property? Any building over 108 sq. ft. may need a building permit.
- Does the house have an oil tank?
- Is it conforming zoning or is it non-conforming? Never assume zoning can be changed by getting dispensation from the zoning authorities.
SEWAGEBad septic fields could stop your enjoyment cold ... never mind cost a fortune
- Does the septic system work properly (or at all)?
- Has the tank been pumped, when last?
- How old is the septic system? Is it a gravity or pump system? How old is the pump?
- Can you see or smell it? Also see dollar bills floating in the air ...
- How close is the septic field? Is it uphill or downhill from the well?
- On rocky surfaces ... is the tank above you or below ... pumps?
- What about the neighbor's septic field? How close is it?
- The Sewerage System Regulations have been changed in 2005/2007. Did the owner comply?
In Canada, you do not own the beach. Your property ends at the high water mark.
- Does the property have sensitive shoreline status?
- If it's low bank, is the beach leased out to a clam operation?
- Is it a "let's party" beach during the summer?
- Is there a water license?
As with all property purchases, it pays to do your homework, and work with a Realtor who has your best interests in mind.
*(courtesy of Jurock's Facts by Email, Aug 3-10, 2015)